The Cabot Yard Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Facility was built as part of an MBTA initiative to transition their buses from diesel fuel to natural gas. This design-build project features a covered, 24-hour accessible, four-bay compressed natural gas fueling station and compressor building, providing the MBTA with clean and sustainable sources of energy for their fleet. BOND installed wood pile foundations, concrete, steel buildings and canopies, electrical and compressed natural gas fuel piping for the station. The team also provided commissioning services for the CNG equipment.
- Accelerated schedule due to winter construction
- Work performed within an active 24-hour bus dispatch and maintenance facility
- Daily coordination with MBTA stakeholders to ensure no disruption to scheduled bus routes
- Rigid site-specific safety plan and weekly “Toolbox Talk” meetings to discuss ongoing job safety initiatives
- Detailed pre-task planning and Job Hazard Analyses to maximize safety and quality
- Increased sustainability for MBTA buses by providing access to clean, natural gas
- Successful completion within fast-track, eight-month schedule