The Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) is the medical home to more than 50,000 patients and 45% of children who live in the city. To provide accessible healthcare at an affordable cost to the growing community, LCHC engaged BOND to construct a new community health center. With an HRSA grant in hand, BOND provided early preconstruction and construction management services. Working closely with HDR Architects, BOND provided constructability services and budgeting to ensure the programmatic desires of LCHC could be met. The overarching complexity of this project was the fact that this new 51,000 SF building addition was constructed abutting an occupied health center which included an urgent care, radiology, laboratory, dental and examination rooms.
- Tight urban site in downtown Lynn
- Adjoin new structure with existing facility
- Difficult site conditions including asbestos & contaminated fills
- Remediating the property with the disposal of 12,000 tons of asbestos, building debris and contaminated fills.
- Development of an innovative design approach of inverted piers and grade beams to solve what was a complex situation with the existing foundation
- Detailed planning & mitigation strategies were developed to minimize disruption & maximize safety
- Completed without interrupting abutting facility
- Increased patient capacity and added new physicians
- Expansion of registration, urgent care, behavioral health, laboratory and radiology services
- Second story enables future development
- Ability to reduce emergency room visits, expand urgent care capacity, aggressive disease management and prevention
- The project was completed on time and under budget