The Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSCBA) selected BOND to provide preconstruction and construction management services for the new Sterling Middle School, located in Quincy, Massachusetts. Opening Winter of 2019, the 95,000 SF state-of-the-art learning facility will feature collaborative learning spaces, a media center, gymnasium, music and art rooms, administrative offices, cafe and auditorium.
BOND was selected for this project for its diligent project approach focused on safety, best value construction and rigorous management of the project schedule. Working with the Sterling Middle School Building Committee, owner’s project manager, PCA360 and Ai3 Architects, BOND developed a customized approach. This included phasing and logistic plans, constructability analyses and value engineering alternatives to maintain the project budget. Within a 20-month timeframe, BOND will construct a new building adjacent to the existing building. The team will then complete the demolition of the adjacent existing building and associated site work thereafter.
- Occupied building construction – close proximity of new construction to existing building
- Chapter 149A
- Challenging site abutting residences and business
- Student, faculty, staff and pedestrian safety
- Use of Building Information Modeling (BIM) to generate 3D phasing and logistics plans
- Phased construction approach allows students to remain in the old building while the new facility is being built
- Work closely with the City of Quincy to minimize disruption and maximize safety throughout construction
- Detailed logistics plan / thoughtful approach which maximizes student and parent access to the facility throughout the project’s duration
- Adherence to strict safety protocols, including CORI and SORI worker checks
- Coordinated construction activities around school operations and schedules to mitigate disruption
- Use of Lean management principles to streamline schedule and reduce cost
- Revitalized future for the City of Quincy
- Brand new, modernized middle school facility
- To be completed in time for last semester of the 2018/2019 school year