The MEP/Systems Engineer will work under the direction of the MEP/Systems Manager to ensure that MEP/FP systems on his/her assigned construction projects are installed with the highest level of quality and turned over to the owner in a fully and properly operational state.
In broad terms, Systems Managers, working as part of project delivery teams, are responsible for shepherding the Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Protection (MEP/FP) and associated systems through the pre-construction, construction, and turnover phases of a project. In addition, Systems Managers are expected to foster good working relationships with MEP subcontractors and clients, through timely and honest communication and mutual respect. Systems Engineers actively support the MEP Managers in carrying out these responsibilities, with a focus on coordination between systems, both spatially and operationally, as well as field QA/QC tracking and reporting, and other vital support tasks. The position can entail working in both an office environment and on active construction sites.
This position reports to the Director of Engineering Services. This position works collaboratively with the project teams and is accountable to the Systems Manager on specific projects
- Pre-Construction Services – Support the Systems Manager in his/her role as in-house consultant, assisting with quotes and procurement issues, performing design review at various stages of design, reviewing and commenting on projected schedules, and performing such tasks as required to provide a high quality service to both internal and external clients.
- Construction Phase Services – Ensure that projects are delivered in such a manner that the owner looks forward to working with BOND’s Engineering Services Group in the future. Assist the project team by reviewing MEP/FP submittals for conformance with contract requirements. Monitor the MEP coordination process, become familiar with the BIM model, and perform QA/QC checks regularly throughout the construction process, comparing the model to the actual built environment and flagging discrepancies in BIM360 Field, the web-based quality control platform used by BOND to manage quality on our projects. Actively assist in the startup/commissioning/ closeout process, working with subcontractors on proper documentation, facilitating system commissioning and owner training, etc., as these procedures are critical to the successful delivery of MEP/FP systems.
- Subcontractor Relationships – Develop and maintain positive relationships with MEP/FP subcontractors with an eye to ensuring that their systems are delivered with quality and timeliness. Earn their respect by having an intimate knowledge of the project and their part in it, anticipating the problems they may encounter, and actively seeking ways to help them with challenges as they arise. Seek to effectively persuade subs who are resistant to BOND requests or directives; know when to seek the assistance of the Systems Manager, Project Manager or Superintendent.
- Client Relationships – Develop critical client relationships at the appropriate levels and positions, and actively work to reinforce BOND’s commitment to continually understand and address client needs, concerns, and goals. Maintain close communication with the project team and the Director of Engineering Services regarding client contact strategies and tactics. Work collaboratively with outside parties (design teams, vendors, owner’s reps, etc.) as required to achieve the client’s goals.
Additional Responsibilities – Attend regularly scheduled department meetings to coordinate deliverables with the Director of Engineering Services, attend/participate in selected industry events.
- BSME preferred -or- 5+ years of demonstrable work experience with MEP/FP design, estimation, installation, commissioning (some design experience preferred)
- E.I.T. (passed Fundamentals of Engineering Exam) preferred, P.E. registration a plus
- LEED and/or Lean accreditation or willingness to pursue also a plus
- Software Proficiency: AutoCAD/Navisworks, Revit, Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong communication skills
- High attention to detail